Friday, July 11, 2008

Pow Wow

Two weekends ago, Matt and I went to my family reunion in Oklahoma. Not a lot of people know this, but I am part Native American. I know I really look like it! I really am. I am part Potawatomi Indian. I never really cared anything about being part Native American, until I started college. You see the Potawatomi Nation paid for a good chunk of my tuition at the U of A. Every year my family has a family reunion in Oklahoma, this family reunion also happens to be the yearly Pow Wow for the Potawatomi Nation. It is a weekend event, complete with dance competitions, golf, softball tournament, and lots of free food. Every year the tribal council chooses 5 families to be honored at the Pow Wow. This year was our year to be honored. This just means that we get to dance/march around the circle when we do the big ceremony. This was the first year the Matt has got to come. I think he really enjoyed it. It is a good time to just see family and relax, even though there are lots of events going on there is no pressure to do everything. Here are some pictures that we have from that weekend.



This is picture of Dad and Rebecca at the dance competion on Friday night. They won first place for the couples category. We are so proud!
At the end of the weekend we have a final ceremony. At this ceremony is where people dress up in their costumes and we march around the arena. This is a picture of Matt and I at the final ceremony. The headband and fan were made by my grandfather. He has made all of the girls headbands and fans.


Here is a picture of one of the professional dancers that dance during the ceremony.


I wasn't able to get the best picture because he was dancing and I really need to get a new camera. But you can see his costume. Anyway, we had a lot of fun this year and can't wait to go back next year.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fun stuff. You look really skinny in that picture of you and Matt, by the way. Apparently the Apple Fried Ice Cream had no effect. :-)

Anonymous said...

I second Diana's comment and want to know if you guys competed in the dance competition too. I think that pic of your dad and step-mom dancing is hilarious!! They are much braver than I would be- but then again, you have to have rhythm to dance and this girl just doesn't have a single lick of it!

Anonymous said...

It's official...I want to go next year.  Free food, dancing, and costumes...MY DREAM!!!:)Martha

The Middlecamps said...

I competed in the dance competion too! They have all sorts of categories. So I was in the Women ages 20 to 30 category. They do all the age ranges for males and females, and they do couples. The couples competion was only 30 and over, so Matt and I didn't get to compete.

the Pulleys said...

How stinkin' fun! Sounds like a great time!

BTW, congrats to you both again on the new position & the big move. What a blessing you will both be to so many. Good luck w/ this Fall & have fun w/ it! We'll be praying for you both!

Be blessed...
Lindsey (Hobbs) Pulley & family